Westlake Village, California Attorney Fights Gender Discrimination
Women and men in America are entitled to equal treatment. That’s not an opinion, it’s the law. For 37 years, Law Offices of Stephan Math has fought to stamp out gender discrimination. Whether you’re a woman who’s been denied a mortgage for a new home, or a divorced father who’s gotten the short end of a child custody decree, if you believe your gender was weighed as a factor against you, we’re here to help. We handle sex discrimination cases in a myriad of areas, including:
Enforcing equal opportunities in education
The law guarantees male and female students equal opportunities in academics and extra-curricular activities, including sports, at most institutions that receive federal funding. While Title IX has leveled the playing field in women’s college sports, discrimination still affects many aspects of the educational system, including:
Advocating fair employment practices
While much progress has been made in establishing equality in the workplace, sex discrimination still occurs in many areas and in many ways. We represent clients who’ve suffered discrimination over issues such as:
- Benefits – Even though women tend to be more costly to insure, the law requires they be given equal access to healthcare.
- Hiring – In the past, women have complained about not being hired or promoted due to gender, but discrimination now seems specific to occupations and industries. For example, women suffer from discrimination in engineering, while men find it hard to get hired as secretaries or promoted to management in cosmetics. In either case, the discrimination violates federal law.
- Firing – When layoffs seem to disproportionately affect one gender, discrimination may be at play.
- Pay – A person’s gender cannot be a factor in determining his or her salary or wages.
- Pregnancy – Refusal to hire or make reasonable accommodations for a pregnant person (or one who might become pregnant) is considered discrimination under federal law.
- Promotion – If all promotions seem to be going to employees of one gender, discrimination may be a factor.
- Sexual harassment – Perpetrating or tolerating this behavior is considered discrimination under federal law. Unwanted sexual conduct in the workplace is illegal if it is meant as a condition of employment or becomes so pervasive that it creates a hostile environment. The definition of sexual harassment is not gender-specific in regards to perpetrator or victim.
Ensuring your access to fair housing
Housing discrimination based on sex is illegal under federal law. If you believe you’ve been denied a rental property or a mortgage to buy a home, simply because of your gender, we can help you file a fair housing complaint with the federal government and see it through to successful conclusion.
Equal rights for each parent
Divorced fathers often complain of prejudice in favor of mothers in family court. There are judges who see mothers as nurturers and fathers as providers, and rule that she should raise the children while he writes the checks. If you’re a father whose custodial rights have been unfairly limited simply because you’re the male parent, Law Offices of Stephan Math can help with custody modification that puts you on an equal footing.
Contact Law Offices of Stephan Math, a determined fighter for gender equality
To schedule an appointment to discuss your discrimination claim with Law Offices of Stephan Math, call our Agoura Hills, California office at 805.300.2097 or contact us online.